Call for Art - Discover Stanwood Camano Article Photography
Discover Stanwood Camano, www.discoverstanwoodcamano.com, has been successful in bringing visitors to our community. To continue the success of Discover Stanwood Camano, the city has been granted the Snohomish County Small Fund Grant to enhance our tourism initiatives by attracting out-of-state and out-of-county visitors through enhanced digital travel content.
The Snohomish County Small Fund Grant will support the enhancement and development of the online travel content on the Discover Stanwood Camano website. This will also highlight the vibrant artist community in Stanwood-Camano.
The images produced by local artists and photographers may also be promoted and shared through Snohomish County’s tourism initiatives, including their tourism website, www.seattlenorthcountry.com. Third-party publications may also use the images with proper crediting to the artist/content creator. The City of Stanwood may also promote and share the images in other city projects.
The City has partnered with the Stanwood Camano Arts Advocacy Commission to implement this Call for Art.
The goal of this project is to encourage visitors in Snohomish County to extend their stay. Six articles, including photos, will be shared on Discover Stanwood Camano throughout 2022.
The articles will be focused on outdoor adventure and nature tourism for the Stanwood-Camano area. Each article will be paired with photography that captures the essence of the Stanwood-Camano experience. Social media graphics will also be created to “share the story”.
The photos shall not be used for commercial advertising, display of personal messages, or to promote political and/or religious organizations, messages, or issues. The City reserves the right to determine whether a photo is eligible for use on the Discover Stanwood Camano website under these guidelines.
Photography Content & Article Information
Images are intended to be used for city and tourism initiatives and should capture the essence of the Stanwood-Camano experience, focusing on outdoor adventure and nature tourism. Images that capture a vibrant visitor experience, such as attendees at special events, interactions at businesses and organizations, special activities, etc. are preferred.
- Spring: 1 article
- Summer: 2 articles
- Fall: 2 articles
- Winter: 1 article
THEMES FOR PHOTOS
- “Discover the Parks of Stanwood-Camano”
- “Art Lives on Camano Island: Check out the Studio Tours”
- Images that highlight parks and visitors in Stanwood-Camano (Church Creek Park, Heritage Park, Camano Island State Park, Cama Beach State Park, etc.).
- Images of art studios & galleries (Camano Arts Association Studio Tour, Stanwood Camano Arts Festivals, Stanwood-Camano Arts Guild, other galleries/studios, visitors, etc.)
- Images of trees/flowers/nature during spring.
- Images of visitors at spring festivals/special events
- “Love Stanwood-Camano Beaches like a Local”
- “Calling all Racers: Stanwood-Camano Soap Box Derby”
- “Show and Shine at the Twin City Idlers Annual Car Show”
- “Our Legacy Fields: Lavender Farm”
- Images that highlight beach activity in Stanwood-Camano (Cama Beach, Camano Island State Park, Warm Beach, Kayak Point, etc.).
- Images that highlight waterfront activities.
- Images that highlight the Stanwood-Camano Soap Box Derby (images of visitors and participants)
- Images that highlight the Twin City Idlers Car Show (images of visitors and participants)
- Images that highlight the visitor experience at Our Legacy Field Lavender Farm.
- Images of trees/flowers/nature during summer.
- Images of visitors at summer festivals/special events.
- “The Treasures of Thrifting”
- “Coffee Lovers Unite”
- Images that highlight the visitor experience at secondhand shops and thrift stores in Stanwood-Camano (Stanwood Camano Thrift Store, 2nd Chance Thrift Shop, Antique Mall Brick Road, Spare Room Flea Market, etc.).
- Images that highlight the various coffee shops in Stanwood-Camano (Copper House, Cookie Mill, Coastal Vie Espresso, Locals Espresso, Bean N Brew on 532, Mustard Seed, Camano Island Coffee Roasters, Shipwreck Coffee, The Baked Café, etc.).
- Images of trees/flowers/nature during fall. Images of visitors at fall festivals/special events
- “Light Up Your Holidays with the Lights of Christmas
- “The Greatest Treasure Hunt in the Pacific Northwest: Glass Quest”
- Images that highlight the visitor experience at the Lights of Christmas.
- Images that highlight the visitor experience for Glass Quest (visitors searching for balls, interactions with businesses, etc.).
- Images of trees/flowers/nature during winter. Images of visitors at winter festivals/special events
- Images that highlight the visitor experience in Stanwood-Camano
- The City is prioritizing the four seasons and the theme elements listed above, but if your image does not fall under these categories, the submission can still be submitted.
Artists and community members are encouraged to submit photography for the Discover Stanwood Camano Photography Call. This is a fantastic way to showcase your talents to our community, our visitors, add to your resume and get involved in the community.
- Artist must live within the Stanwood-Camano zip code areas: 98292 and 98282.
- Projects are open to professional, amateur and student artists over 18.
- Teams of artists are permitted.
- Both new and experienced artists are encouraged to apply for projects.
- Artists may submit up to 4 photographs for consideration; the seasonal breakdown of submissions is up to the photographer (ex: a photographer may submit one photo for each season, or all 4 photos for one season.)
- There is a $70 stipend per photograph design selected.
- All submissions must be original artwork produced by the artist
- Image submission size: under 10MB
- Images must be saved and submitted as JPGs
- Images may be used for print so please submit the highest quality available. Blurry, pixelated or low-quality images will not be considered.
- Images may not include additional text (text in the photograph is acceptable)
- Photos containing controversial images that are offensive in nature will not be accepted
- Portraits and family photos will not be considered. If photographs include people, they should be in the background, and not easily identifiable; if faces are visible, you must have permission from these individuals to share these images with the City of Stanwood.
- The age of the photo should not exceed 3 years. Photos should include current and existing businesses, current events, current features, etc. For annual events, please avoid any markers that indicate the year of the event.
Photos can be submitted through the Discover Stanwood Camano website at www.discoverstanwoodcamano.com/digital-travel-photography-project/
Responsibilities of Selected Artists(s)
Selected artists are responsible for all costs related to providing the image in a quality format (see above) that can be resized and manipulated for use. These artists’ costs may include, but are not limited to, photography, scanning, and graphic design expenses.
Submissions should be final image and within submission guidelines.
Photography Ownership City of Stanwood:
All photography images associated with this project shall be the property of the City of Stanwood. The City shall also have the right to use the image(s) on any City materials, including website, digital, print and more, as needed to promote the city and tourism initiatives. Artist shall also retain the right to use their designs as desired for other purposes that do not conflict with the City’s digital travel photography project.
Photography Ownership Snohomish County:
All photography images will be attributed to the artist/content creator through Snohomish County’s Digital Asset Management system. The images will become property of Snohomish County.
Terms and Conditions from Snohomish County:
▪ Photography and Copywriting Use Terms and Conditions
By submitting your Work to our website or social media platforms, you are agreeing to these Terms and Conditions, and are granting Snohomish County/Seattle NorthCountry (SNC) a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide license (with sublicense and assignment rights) to display and use your Work on SNC owned social media accounts, on our website at www.seattlenorthcountry.com , and in marketing materials produced for SNC, at SNC’s sole discretion. However, you will not be entitled to any form of compensation whatsoever in exchange for allowing us to display your Work in the uses described above. All uploaded images are attributed to both the creator and Seattle NorthCountry.
Furthermore, by submitting your Work, you are representing:
- That you are 18 or over;
- That the Work is wholly your own, original work and not a derivative or copy of someone else’s work (including, but not limited to, another person, company, entity, or publication);
- That you own the full rights to license and distribute the Work and full rights and permissions to license and distribute the Work from any third party person, company or brand represented or shown in the Work;
- That you agree to license the Work, without receiving compensation of any kind or any other conditions, to SNC for display on Seattle NorthCountry social media accounts (including, but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest), the Seattle NorthCountry website at www.seattlenorthcountry.com, and SNC marketing materials (including, but not limited to collateral, trade show displays, advertising, and videos). This license will extend worldwide, in perpetuity, and is irrevocable;
- That you understand and acknowledge that by uploading your Work to our website or social media platforms, it may be used by SNC, Snohomish County, or third-parties who have access to SNC Media Hub; and
- That the Work does not contain inappropriate, illegal, harassing, defamatory or objectionable content; and
- That you agree to indemnify and hold harmless SNC, Snohomish County, and their employees, assigns, and agents in the event that you breach any these Terms and Conditions.
Selection Process and Criteria
The City of Stanwood will work with the Stanwood Camano Arts Association Commission (SCAAC). This may include a call for artists to present images.
The Photograph Selection Committee consisting of City of Stanwood and Stanwood Camano Arts Advocacy Committee will review all proposals received by the deadline and make a recommendation to Stanwood’s Economic Development who sends it to City Council for final decision. The Committee and City of Stanwood reserve the right to reject any and all submissions.
Number of Photos
45 photos will be selected for the Fall/Winter Call for Art & 45 photos will be selected for the Spring/Summer Call for Art. (Deadlines listed below.) A total of 90 photographs will be selected.
The Discover Stanwood Camano Article Photography Project shall proceed according to the following schedule.
Submissions accepted May 10, 2022 – August 8, 2022
- May 10, 2022 - SCAAC Call for Artist Designs
- August 8, 2022 - Submission Due Date
- August 15 – 18, 2022 - City/SCAAC Review of Designs
- August 19, 2022 - Photos reviewed by Economic Development Board
- September 8, 2022 City Council Approval of Designs
- September 16, 2022 Photos Due to City
All questions regarding this application must be submitted in writing to: email@example.com