Building in the Flood Plain

Building in the Floodplain infographic

The City of Stanwood regulates all development within identified floodplains to promote public safety and prevent flood losses through its Critical Areas Ordinance. Any filing, grading, new constructions, or alterations to a property within the Municipal Floodplain will require a Floodplain Development Permit (PDF).

Also, the City of Stanwood Municipal Code will require any structure within the designated floodplain that is damaged or improved more than 50% of its market value to be elevated to the designated floodplain elevation. To find out if your property is in a designated floodplain or to report any probable non-permitted development in the floodplain, please contact the City of Stanwood Community Development Department at 360-454-5211